Block Copolymer Templates for F actin Organization
Geometric variation (5nm) is created with 5 min UV exposure.
F actin height is 7nm.
Double-helical architecture is resolved with pitch of 35-40nm.
PIs: R. J. Composto & Y. Goldman: NBIC Molecular Motors Subgroup
Use spatial and geometric signals to create an array of F actin which acts as tracts for molecular motors.
- Self-assemble block copolymers with short range periodicity commensurate with F actin size.
- Develop AFM procedure to image fragile F actin.
- Organize F actin on block copolymer templates.
Block Copolymer Systems:
- poly(styrene-b-acrylic acid)
- Thermal annealing
- Solvent annealing
- Grooved substrates
Organization of intracellular F actin in BAECs after 1 h.
F actin aligns along ridges of substrate (3mm x 3mm)
- Intracellular F actin can be aligned by topography.
- Short range block copolymer (bcp) organization has been achieved
- Extracellular F actin has been imaged on substrates.
- Using the long range order of bcp’s to self-assemble extracellular F actin will lead to unprecedented control over molecular motors that convert chemical energy into mechanical energy.