NBIC Probe Facility
|> Scheduling Policies|
> Krishna P. Singh
|> Instrument Access|
|> Corporate Sponsors|
The Nano-Bio Probe Facility is a unique lab that serves as an incubator for new probes of nanostructure behavior and associated instrumentation development. It is equipped with a suite of nine advanced scanning probe systems, opto-electronic/transport tools, and optical probes operating in fluid, ambient, or vacuum environments. The Facility is currently used by approximately 100 investigators from within Penn, industry labs, and educational programs.
Several atomic force microscopes, an electrical probe station, a scanning tunneling microscope, and an interfacial force microscope are available for imaging and characterization. The facility includes two Asylum MFP-3D AFMs: one with an inverted optical microscope and total internal reflection fluorescence with four laser frequencies, the other capable of electrical measurements up to the GHz range, and equipped with a drift-reducing environmental chamber. Two other AFMs support larger samples and scan areas in ambient, fluid, or purged-gas environments. The facility's most recent addition is a dual-stage AFM with integrated confocal Raman spectroscopy and near-field scanning optical microscopy.
- Real space imaging of nano-scale wires, particles, and structures.
- Characterization of ferroelectric and piezoelectric thin films.
- Observation of local surface potential & capacitance.
- Frequency response of mechanical and electrical resonators or circuits.
- Sub 500-nm resolution vibration and chemical analysis via Raman spectroscopy and AFM.
- Probing stiffness, adhesion, and friction with nanometer resolution.
- Measurement of dopant concentration and leakage current.
- Characterization of biological specimens via fluid cell AFM.
- Cell manipulation and tracking via total internal reflection fluorescence and AFM.
Additional information for specific instrument is available at the instrumentation page.
For additional information contact Matt Brukman <email@example.com>